Friday, August 27, 2010

Spicy Pickled Green Beans


First time pickling green beans, over here. I think it went well...I guess we'll find out in a few months! My in laws are on vacation and told me I could harvest in the garden. I'd wanted to try simple green bean canning and since my beans are coming to an end, I'm jumping at the chance to pick some of their green beans!

Are you pickling/canning/putting anything up this year?

Spicy Pickled Green Beans
Food.com
Makes 4 pints

3 pounds green beans
4 long thin red chilies (use gloves when handling!)
3 large garlic cloves
1 tablespoon peppercorns
1/4 cup fresh dill
2 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
1/4 cup salt

Trim and remove string from green beans. Cut to fit into jars. Prepare jars, rings and lids for canning.

Bring water, vinegar and salt to the boil.

Fill each jar with beans until they are snug. Insert chilies and garlic. Divide peppercorns amongst jars. Divide dill amongst jars. Ladle the boiled pickling liquid into the jars leaving headspace. Wipe rims of jars, apply lid and screw on rings. Process in boiling water bath for 12 minutes.

Remove carefully and allow to cool to room temperature. During this cooling time, you'll hear quiet pops letting you know your jars have sealed. If by the next day, some of the jars haven't sealed, you can store in refrigerator to be eaten as soon as possible. Allow the sealed jars to sit at least one month in a cool, dark place before opening.

6 comments:

  1. Your beans look great! I made strawberry/rhubarb and backyard berry jams, and pickled peaches. My garden faded quickly this year, no rain all summer. But what I did can was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they look great! We're in the process of making pickles and are not so patiently waiting ourselves to see the results. I'll bet they're perfect. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh love the strawberry rhubarb jam - I did that last year and it was GREAT!!

    I can't wait to make pickles, I think my Mom and I will do them in September!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The process of making pickels is really great which you can share is very nice. Divide dill amongst jars. Ladle the boiled pickling liquid into the jars leaving headspace. Wipe rims of jars, apply lid and screw on rings.
    abendkleid

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! I love pickled anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For something different and packed full of probiotics (think yogurt on steroids) Try lacto fermenting the green beans next time around. With some garlic and dill Mmmmmm. Here's the link: http://www.cookinggodsway.com/lacto-fermented-pickled-green-beans/

    ReplyDelete

Header designed by Crystal. Thanks!